State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement - SARA

Distance Education: National Council for SARA

The State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) is a national initiative to provide a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of post secondary distance education. When states join SARA, they agree to follow uniform processes for approving their eligible institutions' participation. Participation in SARA allows institutions to provide online courses outside of their own state borders by seeking and maintaining state approvals via a streamlined process. To learn more, visit NC SARA.

New York State Education Department State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement

NC-SARA is a voluntary, regional approach to state oversight of post secondary distance education. To learn more, visit SARA NC
Current authorized SARA member states can be viewed on the SARA Interactive Map

NC-SARA Compliance Information

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC SARA)
3005 Center Green Drive, Suite 130
Boulder, Colorado 80301

T: (303) 848-3275

Information on Complaint Resolution Policies

Federal regulations require institutions delivering distance education courses to provide students and prospective students with contact information for filing complaints with the state approval or licensing entity in the student's state of residency and any other relevant state official or agency that would appropriately handle a student complaint.

SARA requires the College to provide all students taking courses under SARA's provisions with information on the College's and SARA's complaint resolution policies and procedures. SARA applies solely to distance education activity conducted across state lines. It does not apply to distance education activities inside New York State. Only those complaints resulting from distance education courses or activities offered to students in other SARA states come under the terms of SARA. Complaints from in-state students are to be resolved under the College's provisions, not those of SARA.

Procedure for Filing Complaints (for Students Residing Outside NY)

John Jay College (CUNY) takes student complaints seriously. The college has a number of resources to hear and investigate complaints of inappropriate conduct outside of the classroom or between students to uphold community standards and conduct policies. If a student wants to report a complaint about a professor, they may do so informally with the faculty member or by consulting with the department chairperson. If the student does not wish to pursue informal resolution, or if informal resolution is unsuccessful, the student may file a written formal complaint with the department chairperson or, if the chairperson is the subject of the complaint, with the academic dean or senior faculty member designated by the college president. This will instigate an investigation resulting in findings and a recommendation for action.

If SARA students at John Jay College (CUNY) are not satisfied with the outcome of the institution’s complaint resolution process, they should contact the New York State Education Department, the institution’s SARA state portal entity.

Professional Licensure

Important Note for Students: Professional licensure and certification requirements often vary from state to state. At this time, John Jay College (CUNY) cannot confirm if programs that lead to professional licensure or certification meet the prerequisites for professional licensure or certification outside the State of New York. Students will need to contact the state licensing board relative to their program in the state they are seeking licensure from for further information.

If you are considering an academic program that leads to a professional license in your state, it is highly recommended that you first seek guidance from the appropriate licensing agency in your home state before beginning the academic program.

Back to the top