Here you will find information about available support services.
John Jay is committed to providing busy students with a dynamic and flexible education. Designed to be a robust resource, John Jay Online offers detailed information on the university's online education program. Take a moment to explore some of John Jay's available to our students.
Online Tutoring @ the Writing Center
The writing center at John Jay is open to all online graduate students. They offer writing workshops, paper editing and outlining, tutoring, and online help. Instructions for accessing the online writing center and making an appointment can be found here.
*Students are required to have a John Jay ID when visiting the writing center. To get an ID, please take a copy of your paid semester bill to the Public Safety office.
CUNY WriteSite -"The WriteSite is an Online Writing Lab, or OWL—a collection of writing resources and a way of interacting with other CUNY writers through the Internet. It complements face-to-face resources, like your campus Writing Center, and it's always open. You could call it a "night OWL," or a "weekend OWL," because it's always here, ready to help you."
Grammar and Style Guide -"This award-winning guide covers issues from the use of a, an, and the through the complexities of the argumentative essay. There are over 150 computer-graded quizzes to test your knowledge, and a place to submit questions about grammar and writing."
For a complete list of resources offered by the Writing Center, please click here.
The writing center is located in the New Building Room 1.68. For further information, please call 212-237-8569.
Military Support Services
John Jay Online is committed to providing comprehensive quality education to our student veterans, active durt service members, guardsmen, reservists and their dependents. We believe that those who courageously served our country should be rewarded with an institiution that works hard to ensure their academic success. For detailed information on the Educational Benefits, please click on the links below:
- Montgomery GI Bill
- Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (VR&E)
- Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Dependents Education Assistance (DEA)
- Reserve Educational Assistance Program (REAP)
Veterans and active military are provided with several other academic and financial benefits:
- Fee Waiver: Graduate applicants who are Veterans of the United States Military Service, currently on Active Duty or members of the National Guard or Reserves are exempt from paying the graduate application fee and the commitment deposit.
- Grades: A student who is called to active duty in the armed forces of the United States after having attended regularly for 13 or more weeks or having completed 85% of the term's work through acceleration may be given full credit for each course in which he or she has a grade of C or better.
- Admission and Re-admission: Veterans are permitted to file application up to the end of registration, and are allowed to begin classes pending completion of their application and provision of supporting documents.
Upon return from military service, a student will not be charged a readmission fee to register.
- Tuition Refund: Students called to active duty who does not meet attendance requirements sufficient to earn a grade are entitled to a 100% refund of tuition and fees, except application fees.
For further information about the benefits and services provided to veterans and active military, please contact the Office of Military and Veteran Services at 212-484-1329.
Other KEY contacts for Military and Veteran students and families:
- LaTanya Everett, Veterans Certifying Official & Military P.O.C.
Financial Aid Office 1287N 646.557.4898 email@example.com
- Erica Pabon, Bursar Advisor
Bursars Office L.70.03NB Tel; 212-393-6495 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shavonne McKiever, Associate Registrar
Registrar’s Office, 1278N 212.237.8881 email@example.com
Students in John Jay Online programs are provided with three basic tiers of support services:
All student administration needs can be navigated through CUNYFirst.
- Student Services/Support
- Academic Advising
Enrollment Advisement :
- The Enrollment Advisor, with the lead, determines whether the individual’s professional, academic and personal goals align with the programs offered.
- The Enrollment Advisor informs the individual about the programs, application process, and decision process and refers them to other departments as needed.
- In several instances, the Enrollment Advisor makes an appointment with the student to fill out the application together.
To speak to an enrollment advisor, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 212-393-6342.
Student Services Advisement:
John Jay Online provides student services similar to what Jay Express provides for campus students. Through John Jay Online, students connect to the administrative departments of John Jay College: Admissions, Registrar, Blackboard, Bursar and financial aid, and are guided through student processes, such as registration, orientation, drop/add, defer, graduation etc. For our online students, John Jay Online Student Service Specialists provide a one-stop to help students navigate the administrative functions and educational transactions.
The student services team works closely with the Admission to matriculate students and sends communications about registration and orientation. Once the student begins classes, the role of an SSS can be divided in to two main categories:
- Ensure Success as an Online Student
- Student Life Concerns
To speak to a student services specialist, please email email@example.com or call 212-393-6875.
Academic Advising is a critical link between the student and their selected program and remains a function of the Academic Department. Faculty advisors within each academic department are responsible for guiding and mentoring students about academic programs, courses, and the appropriate steps the student needs to follow as they proceed on their path to pursuing their educational and career goals.
To speak to academic advisor, please contact your program director.
Textbooks can be bought at the John Jay College Online Bookstore. You can generate a customized book list based on your class schedule. You have the option to shop for new, used, rental and eBooks.
Features of the John Jay College Online Bookstore include:
- FAST Checkout – Log in with your CUNYfirst credentials, view your custom course page with all of your classes and required materials, and select your books. Textbook ordering has never been easier!
- Great Savings – Save an average of 60% off list price by shopping on the used book Marketplace – these prices are comparable to those on Amazon!
- Multiple Book Options – New, Used, Rental and eBook options (when available) are shown side-by-side, making it easy for you to choose the format and price that best fits your needs.
- FREE Shipping – Receive free shipping on orders over $49*
- CUNY Scholar Card Accepted – Simply enter your CUNY Scholar Card information at checkout.
- Optimized for Mobile – The Online Bookstore is easy to use on any smartphone or tablet. Order anytime, anywhere on any device.
- Year-Round Buyback – Sell your book(s) back on the Marketplace at anytime throughout the year, you name the price!
John Jay's Accessibility Services provides comprehensive access to support services and programs for undergraduate and graduate students with hearing and visual impairments, mobility impairments, learning disabilities and attention deficit disorders, chronic illnesses and psychological impairments. To learn more about what defines a disability, click here.